Close

    • Subaru gunning for AMG's production four-cylinder power record? 400+ horsepower FA24 2.4 liter turbo boxer motor coming

      Mercedes-AMG holds the production four-cylinder engine record with the beast that is the 2.0 liter M139 inline-4. The motor produces 416 horsepower and nobody else is challenging AMG for the crown in the production four-cylinder sphere. That is, until the FA24 from Subaru hits.


      Right now Subaru says they are planning about 400 horsepower. Considering their motor is larger at 2.4 liters it would not take much to top 416 horsepower when the 2021 Subaru WRX STI debuts.

      The FA24 is based on the motor from the Ascent SUV but for the STI expect a new crank, pistons, rods, revised heads, and a bigger turbocharger with a lot more boost.

      The new WRX STI suddenly sounds exciting.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: Subaru gunning for AMG's production four-cylinder power record? 400+ horsepower FA24 2.4 liter turbo boxer motor coming started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 10 Comments
      1. Stevenh's Avatar
        Stevenh -
        About damn time! I guess the STI was due for its 20 year refresh... Looking forward to reading more about this one.
      1. nbrigdan's Avatar
        nbrigdan -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The new WRX STI suddenly sounds exciting.
        Until you see the price...50k USD is the rumour!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nbrigdan Click here to enlarge
        Until you see the price...50k USD is the rumour!
        Let's hope they make it worth the cash!
      1. nbrigdan's Avatar
        nbrigdan -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Let's hope they make it worth the cash!
        $49,990 of drivetrain and $10 of interior is the old Subie/Evo special. I bet his model will be no different.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nbrigdan Click here to enlarge
        $49,990 of drivetrain and $10 of interior is the old Subie/Evo special. I bet his model will be no different.
        I kind of respect that.

        The car isn't going to do better than Audi on the interior or AMG on the exterior.

        Just make it worth the $50k and it may even be a performance value considering how expensive performance cars are getting.
      1. F87Source's Avatar
        F87Source -
        Finally the FA series... I hated the archaic EJ series motor with all my heart, I have zero clue why everyone in the subaru community loves that motor and calls it legendary, I even hated this motor back when I was into these cars. The crappy pistons, crappy cylinder number 4 cooling issue, crappy rod knock issues, crappy spun bearing issue, crappy turbo drain bolt with a built in filter that could clog, and crappy port injection related fuel economy. Plus everytime you modded something you had to get a tune, which costed $880 including dyno fees. This pretty much conditioned me to doing things the right way with bmws, and not cheaping out on supporting mods and tunes.

        But 400 horse power on an sti from the factory without having to spend $10K on a built motor + $10K in supporting/reliability mods + $3K in tuning? I might own an STI again.....
      1. F87Source's Avatar
        F87Source -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F87Source Click here to enlarge
        Finally the FA series... I hated the archaic EJ series motor with all my heart, I have zero clue why everyone in the subaru community loves that motor and calls it legendary, I even hated this motor back when I was into these cars. The crappy pistons, crappy cylinder number 4 cooling issue, crappy rod knock issues, crappy spun bearing issue, crappy turbo drain bolt with a built in filter that could clog, and crappy port injection related fuel economy. Plus everytime you modded something you had to get a tune, which costed $880 including dyno fees. This pretty much conditioned me to doing things the right way with bmws, and not cheaping out on supporting mods and tunes.

        But 400 horse power on an sti from the factory without having to spend $10K on a built motor + $10K in supporting/reliability mods + $3K in tuning? I might own an STI again.....
        Not trying to be a Subaru hater since I did and still do love sti's, just trying to express my frustrations about the current motor and how excited I am for the FA sti. I'm just wondering if it'll have UEL headers.
      1. nbrigdan's Avatar
        nbrigdan -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F87Source Click here to enlarge
        Not trying to be a Subaru hater since I did and still do love sti's, just trying to express my frustrations about the current motor and how excited I am for the FA sti. I'm just wondering if it'll have UEL headers.
        I had a WRX in the past. You're not a hater, everything you said is completely true. Why does a GTI that costs 40% less than an STI have an engine that can make way more power way more reliably? Don't ask. The Japanese are decades behind the rest of the world when it comes to engines. Their astonishingly poor power output could be forgiven if they were actually reliable, but the EJ...well you know how it is.

        I hope this new engine can really bring Subaru back into the performance game. A 400+ HP STI that makes ~500 with bolt ons would be insane, a complete game changer.
      1. F87Source's Avatar
        F87Source -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nbrigdan Click here to enlarge
        I had a WRX in the past. You're not a hater, everything you said is completely true. Why does a GTI that costs 40% less than an STI have an engine that can make way more power way more reliably? Don't ask. The Japanese are decades behind the rest of the world when it comes to engines. Their astonishingly poor power output could be forgiven if they were actually reliable, but the EJ...well you know how it is.

        I hope this new engine can really bring Subaru back into the performance game. A 400+ HP STI that makes ~500 with bolt ons would be insane, a complete game changer.
        Yeah I hope so too, I'd love to get an sti as a winter DD.

        The frs's FA motor is actually pretty robust for an NA motor, not BMW level robust but not bad for what I'm used to in the Japanese tuner car market. So if the FA on the sti, which is also made for boost, is robust then it should be awesome.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F87Source Click here to enlarge
        Yeah I hope so too, I'd love to get an sti as a winter DD.
        Wouldn't mind this either as a fun car for the mountains.